There might be some people out there who actually enjoy doing laundry. But for most, laundry is another thing to check off the ever-mounting to-do list. Whether you’re a mom, a college student, a working professional, or something else entirely, life keeps you busy. Check out the following laundry hacks1
designed to make your life easier:
- Ball up a piece of aluminum foil and toss it into the dryer in place of a dryer sheet.
- If you need something to dry quickly, stick it in the dryer with a dry towel. The towel will soak up the excess moisture.
- Rub chalk2 on grease stains before tossing laundry in the wash.
- Pre-sort clothes by having separate hampers labeled “Lights,” “Darks,” and “Whites” (or however you want to separate them).
- Dab ink stains with a cotton ball dipped in rubbing alcohol3 (put a paper towel underneath the clothing to prevent leakage. Let sit for 10 minutes, and toss soiled laundry into the wash.
- Combine one tablespoon of dish soap with two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide and apply to grass stains for removal. Let it soak for about 10 minutes and wash with warm water until the soap is gone. Then toss it in the washer like usual.
- Toss a few tennis balls into the dryer4 to help sheets, pillows, and comforters dry evenly.
- Use 1/2 to one cup of baking soda (instead of bleach) per washer load to whiten whites.
- Wash socks in mesh laundry bags to avoid losing them mysteriously in the wash.
- Spin your wet undergarments in a salad spinner if you need them sooner than they will air dry.
- Add up to two cups of white vinegar to your laundry to get (and keep) musty smells out of towels.
- Turn old laundry detergent containers into watering cans for your plants or garden.
Of course, one of our favorite laundry hacks is to use a high-quality laundry detergent that’s low in cost
. Buying the right detergent can not only help you get stains out, but it can keep your brights bright and your whites white.
- SOURCE: Spring Trends: 8 Laundry Hacks that Will Change Your Life (April 2016). GQ Magazine. Retrieved Aug. 10, 2017 from: https://www.gq.com/story/laundry-hacks
- SOURCE: 9 Science-inspired Life Hacks You Can Try At Home (July 2017). BT. Retrieved Aug. 10, 2017 from: http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/house-home/home-hacks/9-homemade-life-hacks-you-can-try-at-home-11364164591976
- SOURCE: Does Hairspray Remove Ink? A Cleaning Myth Busted (July 2010). Retrieved Aug. 10, 2017 from: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/institute/a22808/does-hairspray-remove-ink-stains
- SOURCE: 6 Genius Uses for Tennis Balls (Sep. 2014). Good Housekeeping. Retrieved Aug. 10, 2017 from: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/tips/a22549/new-uses-tennis-balls/